Masturbation can offer many of the same benefits as sex, but also has its own advantages, including:
* enhanced sex between partners
* Understanding your own body
* increased ability for orgasms
* boosted self-esteem and body image
* increased sexual satisfaction
* treatment for sexual dysfunction
Masturbation is considered entirely safe and with fewer health risks attached. When practised alone, there is no risk of pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections (STIs). According to Planned Parenthood, it increases mental well-being, not a mental illness or instability like some myths suggest.